Friday, May 24, 2013

Meet a Robber: Letitia Guillaud on Ameilia




We'll be sharing perspectives from our actors and crew of "The Robbers" periodically throughout the run. Here's Letitia Guillaud on Ameilia.

What were your initial impressions when you first read The Robbers?
As a company we were considering producing it with an all-female cast, so I was reading it from that perspective. I was pretty excited by all the youthful male anger and the desire for destruction and revolution that drives many of the characters. These are themes that women seldom get to play with on stage, esp in classical works. Plus, I just really love stage violence and this script has plenty of opportunities for that.

What's your biggest challenge been working on The Robbers? How have you dealt with it?
Amelia, as the only female written into the script, was difficult for me for a few reasons. Firstly, I don't consider myself to be the most ladylike of women, so it took some time for me to sink into the idea of being cast as her and of being the only "woman" in a cast of women. Second, she spends most of the play at the mercy of the other characters, so some of her choices seem strange at times, but it is due to her limited power in this world. Don't get me wrong, Schiller wrote a very strong woman here.  She speaks her thoughts and feelings, and is fully capable of defending herself. Once I let myself connect more with her strength and sunk into her reality a bit, I was able to connect the dots of her journey a little better.

What's your favorite classical play?
I don't know that I have a favorite, but I would love to play Medea someday.  I have a fascination with the insanity and clarity that exists in a character when they choose to pursue one singular purpose, the way she does.

What do you think motivates Amelia?
Her love for the ideal of Charles is her motivation.  

What kind of job do you think Amelia would be good at?
There are a lot of bits that were cut, with Amelia wondering around playing the guitar and singing.  I think, today she would be some sort of singer/songwriter/activist.

Tickets and other details for The Robbers at the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/events/352335911539310/

No comments:

Post a Comment